I'm sure you've read a lot of resumes, hopefully this will break up the pace a little.
I am a versatile, experienced software professional that knows web development inside and out.
From highly interactive front-ends to the web services and databases that drive them I have experience in every aspect of software development.
I'm also good at applying Agile practices, planning, and prioritization skills necessary to deliver a quality product.
I'm used to working in high-reliability environments, both in customer-facing as well as internal tools and if I've reached out to you it's because I think I can make a difference at your company and with your team.
- Full-stack developer (backend to frontend)
- Full-stack employee (developer, scrummie, product owner, mentor)
- Unix/Linux/BSD, Bash/Shell, Git and almost all other VCS's
- Web Security, Web Performance, I18N, Agile/XP/Scrum (Certified Scrum Master - 2013), TDD, Test Automation
- Interest in functional programming (Erlang, Haskell, Lisp) and associated techniques as they relates to increasing software reliability and scalability
- Good at analyzing problems and communicating from both technical and business perspectives
Technical Yahoo - Monitoring and Developer Productivity
3/12 - present
- High reliability environment for internal Yahoo-wide monitoring services
- Maintenance and feature enhancement for legacy monitoring UI and backend
- Scrum Coach across three geographically distributed teams
- Product Owner and Developer for Monitoring as a Service v2.0 UI/UX
- From zero to general release, near-feature parity with legacy product in 6 months
- Presenter at Yahoo Tech Pulse (internal technical conference)
- Chosen as 3rd best presentation of 30+ presentation and 600+ submissions
- Experience with many client-side visualization techniques applied to relatively large data sets
- Participated in Bay-Area large scale monitoring corporate meetups
- Standardized interview, hiring, and evaluation process for monitoring technical hires
- Implemented interactive cluster analysis UI to aid in large data set outlier detection
- Worked on UI/UX for Yahoo-wide internal continuous integration, build, and delivery pipelines
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Video
3/06 - 3/12
- Implemented cross-platform, cross-browser video combining native video plugins and Flash
- Design, implementation, documentation of Yahoo! Flash video player toolkit
- Internal support of developer-partners using Yahoo! Video Platform Technologies
- Introduced process automation within our group (automated builds, tests and deployment)
- Worked with premium and live video streams NFL, UFC, and video advertising
- Accountable for proper operation of video across Yahoo! – News, TV, Movies, Sports, etc.
- Carefully refactored production legacy video reporting tool from 0% code coverage to 90% while delivering requested improvements
- More than you would care to know about making websites fast (JS and HTML techniques)
- Gave Tech Talk to internal developers experimenting with video experiences
- Technical design and implementation of Yahoo! Advanced Advertising API.
selected by Yahoo! legal for patent filing
- Contributor to "Stream Security" preventing semi-anonymous abuse of web-services.
selected by Yahoo! legal for patent filing
- Speaker at MIX'09 Las Vegas – Enhancing Large Windows Media Platforms with Microsoft Silverlight
Lead QA Automation Engineer – Travelocity
8/02 - 3/06
- Automated tests and wrote testing frameworks for Front-end, Back-end, GUI, Web
- Implemented frameworks for automated testing of Travelocity and many branded partner sites
- Promoted to Lead after one year, supervising automation and performance testing
- Involved in automating test cases, hiring, review, and development of automation personnel
- Wrote tools in Java using HttpUnit to automate memory profiling of top 50 dynamic pages on site
- Standardized bug-tracking processes and wrote tools to aid fact-based release status
- Rollout of Agile development methodologies within QA, including practical automated testing
- Communicated with a wide range of internal departments to improve organization throughput
Technologies: Java, Ant, CVS, JUnit, FIT, QARun, WinRunner, LoadRunner, Bugzilla, Perl, HttpUnit, XML
Senior Developer – sell.com
5/00 - 7/02
- Developed negotiated commerce online classifieds system from scratch (user registration through search, listing, billing)
- Directly involved in all aspects of design and implementation in a small startup environment
- Designed, implemented, tested, documented reusable standard libraries
- Heavily involved in overall system architecture, data model, and initial feature set
- Implemented customer-facing and internal tools allowing for low maintenance operation
- Analyzed and resolved functional defects and performance bottlenecks
Technologies: PHP, MySQL, Perl, XML-RPC/Web-Services, HTML, CSS
Ask me about...
- Traveling around the world, learning classical guitar, Ultimate frisbee, long distance biking, speaking Spanish
- Some good books — Pragmatic Project Automation (Mike Clark), Pragmatic Programmer (Andrew Hunt), The Science of Debugging (Matthew Telles), Microsoft's Code Complete (Steve McConnell), Business Leadership The Marine Corps Way (Dan Carrison), Maneuver Warfare (Jason Santamaria)