- 1 lb dried red beans, soaked overnight
- 1/2 lb salt pork / ham hock / bacon
- 2 qt water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 cups red onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large pods of garlic (~10+ cloves), crushed
- 1 tsp red pepper (probably flakes?)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano, dried
- 1/4 tsp thyme, dried
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
- 3 generous dashes Tobasco sauce
- 1 lb sausage (kielbasa), cooked and sliced thin
Cook beans and pork in salted water.
Bring to boil then simmer for 45 minutes.
Add vegetables, seasonings, and tomato sauce.
Simmer 1hr, stirring occasionally.
Add sausage for extra body and cook 45 minutes more.
Cool, but do not necessarily refrigerate.
Reheat to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
Serve over boiled, buttered white rice.